Sunday, July 14, 2024
North Attleboro Coin and Collectibles Show
HomeNorth Attleboro Fire Department reminder to check carbon monoxide, smoke alarms ahead...

North Attleboro Fire Department reminder to check carbon monoxide, smoke alarms ahead of Daylight Saving Time 

Fire Chief Christopher Coleman would like to remind community members to check the batteries in their carbon monoxide (CO) and smoke alarms when we “spring ahead” this weekend.

On Sunday, March 10, community members will turn their clocks forward for Daylight Savings Time. The North Attleborough Fire Department encourages residents to use this time as a reminder to check their CO and smoke alarms.

Community members should check their CO and smoke alarms and change replaceable batteries if needed. If you don’t have a battery-powered or battery back-up CO alarm, now is a great time to buy one.  If older than 10years, the Fire Department recommends that community members replace their CO and smoke alarms.

Carbon monoxide is called the “invisible killer” because you cannot see or smell it as it’s an odorless, colorless gas. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 400 people die every year from CO poisoning.

To protect your family, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers the following safety tips:

  • Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly to make sure they are working. CPSC recommends installing smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside each bedroom and outside sleeping areas. CO alarms should be installed on each level of the home and outside sleeping areas.
  • If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel.
  • Batteries should be replaced in alarms at least once each year, unless the alarms have sealed 10-year batteries. Replace the smoke alarm if it is more than 10 years old.
  • Have a fire escape plan and make sure there are two ways out from each room and a clear path to outside from each exit. Once out, stay out of the house.
  • During a fire, closed bedroom doors can slow the spread and allow extra moments to get to safety.

According to the NFPA, signs of carbon monoxide poising can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or headaches. High levels of CO can be fatal, causing death within minutes. If you believe you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
Kids Day 2024 July 18-21 at the North Attleboro Middle School
- Advertisment -
Big Blue Removal, Don't pay 1-800 Prices!

Most Popular

Recent Comments